Today we’re celebrating two birthdays – mine (29, again!) and my favorite boutique, Tag. I discovered Tag via Facebook back in May and have been a loyal customer ever since. In fact, this is the shop that gave me the idea to start this blog. I’ve always loved to shop and find a great deal, but boutiques were intimidating to me. In my mind, most boutiques sold overpriced, mediocre quality clothing that only fit models and teenagers. After discovering Tag, my whole opinion shifted and that led me to seek out other small businesses. The Shop Gal was born and here we are.
Tag Online Boutique launched it’s website 1 year ago today and has grown into more than just a profitable business. It’s a thriving online community of supportive women who are positive, fun, and have great style. I’ve never met any of them, but I feel like I know them. Shop owner, Julie Knight, dreamed up the idea of Tag (aka Trendy, Affordable, Gorgeous) after one too many bad online shopping experiences. She wanted to create a shop with high quality products at reasonable prices, fast & free shipping, and exceptional customer service. With the inspiration of her sister-in-law, Wendy, who runs a successful accessories boutique called Lemons & Limes, and the encouragement of her husband, Dan, Julie created Tag one week after the idea popped into her head. She started out with just 6 products on her website, and now carries between 70-100 styles like these beauties.
At Tag, you will find a wide variety of brands such as Umgee, Doe & Rae, She & Sky, LeLis, Ampersand Avenue, Liverpool Denim, and so much more. As Tag has grown, Julie has taken more risks with higher-priced brands like Grace & Lace. There is something for every budget and style. Julie sells items that run true-to-size or one size large to accommodate a wider range of sizes, since most brands don’t offer size XL. Always read the product description for more information on how an item fits. Julie has amazing customer service and offers great sizing advice – all you have to do is ask! I’ve asked Julie on size recommendations on every Tag item I’ve ordered, and she’s been spot on every single time. And if you need even more sizing assistance, the Reveals & Deals Facebook Group is where you want to be.
Tag Reveals & Deals Facebook Group is a drama-free, supportive group where you can share your recent Tag purchases, ask fit questions, and see the latest styles before they hit the website. Julie started this group in April 2016 as a way to share Tag clothing in a closed environment. I love sharing my outfits in this group, something I would NEVER do in my normal Facebook feed. What started out as a group of about 50 women has grown to almost 2,400! That is amazing. What’s even more amazing is how wonderful these women are. This group has women of all shapes, sizes, and ages. There is no body shaming or negativity – just positive vibes and lots of beautiful clothes. It’s a great place to hang out!
As a member of Reveals & Deals, you get first dibs on new inventory, sale items, and access to weekly pre-sale items. Julie offers a limited selection of 10-30 in-stock pre-sale items each week before they are available on the website. If there is enough interest, Julie can reorder the piece for anyone who misses out on the in-stock items. Tag occasionally offers pre-orders, too. These are items that are not currently in stock that may have been requested by a shopper or a new style/brand. Customers aren’t billed until the item actually arrives. No interest = no order = no worries!
Tunics are a popular trend at Tag. They might be basics, but I guarantee they will work harder than most items in your closet. The Brooke Top by Azules is a current topseller and comes in over 10 colors & sizes S-XL. This is a great simple top that can easily be dressed up or down with a few accessories or layering pieces. To date, Julie has sold over 400 of these versatile tops! Priced at only $22, you probably need a few of these in your closet!
I’m amazed at how Julie successfully juggles it all. She’s a wife and mom of 3, Partner & CFO by day, and active volunteer in her community. Here’s how she does it – in her own words.
- Choosing inventory – It’s like a big shopping spree all the time! Recently, Julie started selling Mystery Boxes – my new favorite addiction! These boxes contain pieces that have never been released and are sold sight unseen at a deep discount. Julie hand picks the items that go into each box – that’s how well she gets to know her customers and how much they trust her. These items are final sale, but can be sold on the Reveals & Deals Group if they don’t work out. I am extremely picky about my clothing, so the fact that I let Julie choose things for me says a lot! I’ve ordered 3 mystery boxes and loved every single item.
- Interacting with customers – Julie takes a lot of care in helping her customers select the right sizes and pieces for their bodies. Don’t be shy if you have a questions or need advice – that’s what the group is here for!
- Giving back to the community – Increasing sales have allowed Julie to give back to those in her community. She donates to organizations such as The Pink Ribbon Girls and The Girlfriend’s Corner, which have both offered to support to her friends fighting breast cancer. She also sends care packages to women who could use a little cheering up.
- Customer feedback – Post those pictures! Julie loves seeing all of her customers wearing Tag items for every day life as well as special events. What’s even better is receiving “unsolicited and heartfelt feedback.” The other morning, Julie woke up to this message from a customer. “Tag is my favorite store. I hate shopping partially because I get so overwhelmed by the vast selection (and limited $$). You narrowed it down and made it so easy to upgrade my wardrobe. Stylish pieces for reasonable prices. Thank you for making it fun again! Bonus…we can shop in our pjs with coffee in hand!” How sweet is that?!
- Friends – Julie has networked and collaborated with other women in the boutique community, making some great friends in the process. It’s refreshing to know that these ladies can work together instead of against each other. They might sell some of the products, but they are all serving a different customer base. The supportive spirit is one this world could use more of for sure!
I’ve never met Julie in real life, but I can tell she is genuinely a good person and a friend to all. She truly wants to connect with each customer and give them the best shopping experience she can. As someone who has personally struggled with her own body image, helping other women feel comfortable in their own skin is very important to her. Julie never imagined that she would be sharing selfies of herself on the Internet, but I think those selfies are what help her be so successful. In fact, there are several items I wasn’t interested in buying until I saw how they looked on a real person. Most women are not models, and Julie keeps it real. Ask her anything and she will give you an honest answer. The positive feedback she gets from us, her customers, has helped her to embrace who she is.
Now for the goodies!! Remember those Mystery Boxes I mentioned above? Well, one lucky reader is going to win one right here! Julie is releasing Mystery Boxes on December 30 and one of you will get a FREE mystery box in size small, medium, or large. Enter via Rafflecopter below. You must leave a comment with your favorite item, size, AND join the Reveals & Deals Facebook Group to be entered in this giveaway.
Julie also has a few discount codes for you lucky gals, as well! Use code SG10 for 10% off orders of $49+ or code SG20 for 20% off orders of $99+. Expires on 12/18/16. Tag also has gift cards available in amounts from $10-$100, so you could always ask Santa to put one in your stocking. They also make great gifts for those hard to buy for women in your life. I’ve already added one to my wishlist!
What’s in your cart?